Oracle Cloud Provides Eastern Gateway Community College with a Central System
Eastern Gateway Community College (EGCC) was using systems that had run their useful life and needed to be replaced. They were not using a Human Resources Information System and were manually executing numerous activities within all business support areas. Processes and procedures were antiquated and inefficient in meeting current operational needs. Both process and systems needed to become more modern and agile, and leverage state-of-the-art technology to meet the day to day business demands of the College. EGCC’s goals for this program were to deploy and successfully manage the change associated with moving to a modern, agile, and unified Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) solution.
EGCC opted for a Rapid Oracle Cloud implementation. While this is the most cost effective approach and gives EGCC the quickest route to delivering Oracle Cloud functionality, it is also the least flexible in terms of changing preconfigured business processes.
The EGCC Oracle Cloud Implementation Program used Navigator’s Beacon implementation methodology. The Beacon Methodology combines years of project delivery experience with knowledge sources such as Project Management Institute (PMI), Carnegie Mellon’s Software Engineering Institute (SEI), and Prosci. Beacon, as illustrated in the figure below, is comprised of four program phases from initiate through deployment to project close and provides for regular milestone checkpoints to track progress and quality. Milestone definitions are set by phase and are comprised of entry / exit criteria which define the gating factors for proceeding. Program management tools, templates, and databases are an integral component of Beacon.
EGCC has aggressive growth goals and committed to transforming their administrative processes by investing in the Oracle Cloud to provide a central system and standard processes that benefit the organization in the following ways:
- Provide self-service functionality for all employees
- Operate in a framework of continuous improvement by clarifying organization policies and procures
- Support policies that ensure accountability of data integrity
- Eliminate time spent on manual and inefficient tasks
- Make data available for critical business decisions
- Anticipate trends, needs and issuesEffectively track and monitor transactions across functional areas
- Consistent business practices between college departments
- Enhance teaching and learning through efficient and effective processes
The resulting platform provides a unified view of the business processes for all academic areas and administrative offices within the College.