System Performance Improvement for Battelle
Battelle was experiencing significant challenges with the stability and performance of their Financials ERP and data warehousing applications that were negatively impacting their business operations.
Navigator architected a solution that consisted of migrating Battelle’s core ERP and data warehouse systems from a SQL Server/Windows platform to an Oracle/Linux platform and assisted with prototyping this initiative to demonstrate the feasibility and benefits of doing this migration. Navigator then planned, led, and supported the migration project. The deployment project included multiple Move to Production test moves and three dress rehearsal mock cutovers to reduce risk due to the complexity of the technical migration and the potential for post go-live stability issues.
The project team successfully completed the platform migration cutover in 12 hours - less time than what was anticipated. The new architecture was so stable that Battelle was able to shorten their planned post go-live stabilization phase by nearly 50%.
Some of the benefits realized by the platform migration project included:
- Increased application availability through the implementation of an Oracle RAC high availability architecture for critical Production and non-Production databases
- Reduced storage needs – Raw database size of the PeopleSoft Financials database was reduced from 6.7 terabytes to 2.9 terabytes
- Reduced server requirements – Total server footprint for Production systems migrated went from 6 servers and 108 CPU cores to 4 servers and 64 CPU cores, and the total server footprint for non-Production systems migrated went from 7 servers and 156 CPU cores to 5 servers and 80 CPU cores
- Improved system and application performance – Run times for several batch jobs were reduced by 50% or more immediately following the migration allowing Battelle to complete their month end processing in a much shorter timeframe, and continued significant performance improvements occurred with additional tuning after go-live
- The migration enabled near real-time access to PeopleSoft Financials and CRM data for reporting through the deployment of Oracle Active Data Guard for replicating data