Teaching Project Best Practices
COSI engaged Navigator to conduct an IT assessment that addressed the following functional areas: Ticketing (including online), Box Office/Gate Control, Admission, Membership Sales/Renewals, Third Party Selling Solutions, Financials & Accounting, Business Intelligence/Reporting, Marketing Effectiveness Reporting, Education Programming, and Point of Sale with Inventory Integration (seating).
This included creating organizational alignment on the need for a ticketing system, benefits of such a system, the effort required to implement the system and assistance with system selection and contract execution.
Navigator conducted an IT assessment and developed a business case and opportunity statement, encompassing the following:
- Prioritized key business requirements
- Future State Solution Architecture
- Documented use cases via business process
- Documented system requirements
- Developed financial model/business case to assist in vendor selection process
Strategic and operational planning was performed, and consisted of:
- Solution confirmation to COSI project sponsor(s)
- Created Implementation Plan (work hours, timeline, phasing, resources, etc.) to guide the duration of the software implementation
- Identified IT and business functional pain points through the course of business process documentation
Navigator also provided procurement and solicitation assistance, including:
- Creating Software Vendor Fit/Gap Approach document to assess vendor solutions against system requirements
- Providing oversight and guidance during vendor contracting
COSI had not recently executed a large IT project in some time. As a result they were also looking for recommendations in terms of delivery methodology.
As a result, the Project Manager introduced the appropriate components of Navigator’s Beacon methodology to provide a framework for executing the project. COSI team members were involved step-by-step in the planning process and the project overall was developed in a very collaborative and co-located manner. Due to this daily work interaction, COSI resources quickly picked up the best practices provided by Beacon and carried them forward to execute the implementation phase of the project based on the recommendations developed.